This blog is for all the movie fans out there (and really, who DOESNT like movies?). The site will feature humorous critical posts about movies new and old, updates on my own experiences in the independent film industry, and a "Top 5 ____" list here and there. Reader feedback is encouraged and ultimately necessary for this blog's success, and to not hurt my feelings.

6/29/10

Top Five Musical Scores

Since I haven't been keeping up with this segment as well as I hoped, I punished myself by selecting a somewhat obscure category for this list. Here I name my five favorite film scores.

Everyone knows that movies have music in them, but who really notices it? Well, I do, especially when it is great. For some films, a great score can transform them from a summer popcorn flick into an international phenomenon (see #2). Sometimes, a score lives on in pop culture long past its film's expiration date.

To compile this list I came up with a few simple rules; first of all, only scores made up of mostly original music composed for the film would count. All apologies to movies such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Boogie Nights, or any of Tarantino's films- all have great music but it is not wholly original. Secondly, only one entry per composer (the John Williams rule).

Lastly, no musicals. Musicals are supposed to have good music.

5. Up, Michael Giacchino



I love this score for its simplicity. It takes a simple theme, builds upon it and rearranges it, makes it grow, takes it back down to a lone piano... brilliant metaphor for the main character's life.

I happened to mention this film's score in my last list on Pixar movies... see where I'm going with this?

4. The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Howard Shore



If the first 15 seconds of the above track don't make you want to strap on your mithril armor and slay some orcs, there is no helping you.

Howard Shore took on a momentous challenge when he agreed to score all three of these epic films. He did a commendable job considering there isn't a single phrase of music that is copied from film to film. Each score stands on its own, and each is terrific. Shore composed musical themes for each main character and for the different cultures of Middle earth, using different instrumentation and style for each. Quite impressive.

3. Once Upon a Time in the West, Ennio Morricone



When a film has a character named "Harmonica", it is easy to tell that the music is going to play an important part in the story in some way. I'm not going to give away anything, but in Once Upon a Time in the West it totally does. Having a musical theme feature in the story is pretty brilliant.

Besides that, Ennio Morricone is the greatest composer of westerns ever, and this is yet another masterpiece from him. All his scores are superb. The use of electric guitar for the theme of the villain (played by Henry Fonda of all people) was innovative and often imitated.

2. Jaws, John Williams



duh Duh... duh Duh...

Yeah, the most iconic movie theme ever.

It is brilliant. Williams uses the theme to portray the pitiless, machine-like voracity of the shark. The rest of the score is also great, a slice of New England life. But that theme is the real winner.

1. Dances With Wolves, John Barry




I know many of my readers will dispute this choice, (Dances With Wolves famously beat out Goodfellas for best picture) but whatever. This film has incredible music. Memorable themes, evocative of the setting and time period, what more could you ask for? Oh, how about some of the coolest drum parts in any classical score? Check "Pawnee Attack".

The music from this film was ingrained into my head in childhood, so it will likely remain my favorite movie score forever.

So there's my five. I want to see (or hear) some of your choices, please!

1 comment:

  1. The Godfather (and Part 2) and Gladiator are probably my two favourites.

    ReplyDelete