This blog is for all the movie fans out there (and really, who DOESNT like movies?). The site will feature humorous critical posts about movies new and old, updates on my own experiences in the independent film industry, and a "Top 5 ____" list here and there. Reader feedback is encouraged and ultimately necessary for this blog's success, and to not hurt my feelings.

6/21/10

Top Five Pixar Movies



In keeping with last week's theme, here are my top 5 favorite Pixar movies. Keep in mind, I have not seen Cars or Ratatouille. Every one I have seen I have enjoyed.

5. Monsters Inc.


Honestly, for this spot I had a tough choice, because it would mean leaving out a film or two I really do like. But Monsters Inc. won out thanks to a terrific ensemble voice cast and interesting (read: batshit crazy) premise.

The two main characters, Mike and Sully, are a terrific team. Voiced by Billy Crystal and John Goodman, there is a great bit of dialogue in every scene. The character design is particularly inspired. Even just looking at Mike elicits a laugh from me every time. And Boo is cute too.

Overall, Monsters Inc. is one of Pixar's funniest movies.

4. Finding Nemo


I have to admit I am somewhat of a marine/sea-life nerd. The fish and sea birds are all impressively animated, they look very much like their real life counterparts while still maintaining a somewhat cartoony, classic Pixar look. Also, Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time so I appreciated them naming the Great White Shark Bruce.

Plot-wise, this is probably Pixar's best overall story (behind #1- see below)

3. Up



Up is one of those Pixar movies where, when I first heard about it, I said to myself, "How can they turn this premise into a good movie?" Unlike the other film I thought this about (Cars) I heard unanimously great things about this so I decided to watch it a few days after my Grandfather passed away (big, big mistake).

Up will be remembered by most for its heart wrenching prologue, in which an entire lifetime passes before our eyes to show us how protagonist Carl has arrived in his present day situation. But for me, the entire film and depiction of Carl's relationship with Russell, the fatherless boy who tags along on the adventure, was an emotionally draining experience (see above about Grandfather's passing).

The score of this film is also superb.

2. Wall-E


I have heard many complaints on internet forums and such that Wall-E is "boring". I can understand how someone might see it that way, but if you do, I feel quite sorry for you. Wall-E is Pixar's most beautiful film, and will probably be considered their masterpiece (until they come up with something better- you know its possible).

The film delivers a message without being too preachy about it, depicts a complex relationship between two Robots incapable of speech, and generally rocks.

1. Toy Story trilogy



This list would be pretty boring if I didn't lump these three movies together. I can't really rank one higher than the others either, so this is easier.

Frankly, the characters of Toy Story are amongst the greatest animated characters in American animation. What a great voice cast! It seems like everyone has a different favorite character, the sign of a tremendous ensemble.

The stories, too, are top notch, only challenged by Finding Nemo.

The best part of Toy Story, though, is how the series as a whole encapsulates the experience of growing up. Re-watching the films now gives me a much different, more nostalgic experience than when they first came out.




So, what do you guys think? I'd like to hear about your favorite Pixar films/characters/moments.

3 comments:

  1. Nice top five list. Although I would have to disagree with about half of it lol. Mostly because I don't think toy story is my favorite. It would actually be number five for me. Finding Nemo is number one, no doubt about it!! I love the characters, plot, and I like to quote it. I haven't seen Wall-E so i don't know about that movie but it looked cute. I liked Up and it was sad. The dog and boy are my favorite. Cars is cute but probably not on my top 5. Pixar has only made 9 animated movies, including all three toy stories? Well I think Nemo is one, Up is second, and Monster's Inc is three. I like all pixar films though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have made 11. After these ones I would say The Incredibles, A Bugs Life, then the two I havent seen. Cars didn't look good and I want to see Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ratatouille is pretty good. I like it better than Cars. It could actually be on my top five because it involves food lol. Although I don't like rats that much, the one in the film didn't bother me. He was actually kinda cute. We should watch it sometime. I like A Bugs Life and The Incredibles but I don't think they would be on my top five either. Since I don't like bugs. But the baby in the incredibles was great.

    ReplyDelete