This blog is for all the movie fans out there (and really, who DOESNT like movies?). The site will feature humorous critical posts about movies new and old, updates on my own experiences in the independent film industry, and a "Top 5 ____" list here and there. Reader feedback is encouraged and ultimately necessary for this blog's success, and to not hurt my feelings.

7/17/10

Inception

I really feel that the more I say about the film, the more disservice I do to those who want to see it. It is best to go in completely fresh so I will refrain from any synopsis here. If you go to Frank Costanza levels to avoid spoilers, might as well not read any of this, just go see the film!




Anyone who has ever dreamed has surely made note of the fact that the dream world operates with a different set of rules, as far as time and space are concerned.

Christopher Nolan's latest film Inception takes these rules and sets an entire movie around them, playing with the audience up until the very last shot cuts to black.

The effect is... bold, brilliant, entertaining, confusing.... all of the above.

I had a very strange experience with my first viewing of this film. Going in to the night, I was beyond excited. This has been my most anticipated film since it was first announced, and frankly there aren't any movies on the horizon that look to measure that level of excitement.

I went to the midnight showing with Stephanie and my friends Jeff, Casey and Greyson, not sure if it would be modestly crowded (ala Toy Story) or swamped (more akin to Eclipse but with fewer Team Jacob T-shirts).

Sadly, neither proved to be the case. There was NO LINE. By the time the previews started, the theater was only half full, as it remained. Needless to say, this was disappointing.

My disappointment continued as Inception began, a nonstop barrage of pretty images and characters yes but for the life of me, I had no idea what was happening. Was this going to be the biggest disappointment of the summer, nay, my life?

In a word: No. In two words, hell no! Once again, Christopher Nolan has constructed a cerebral thriller that pulls no punches, forcing the viewer to struggle initially but then rewarding that first grasp of understanding with a eureka moment which pays off for the rest of the film.

Those who have seen Memento should already be familiar with this arrangement.

The last hour or so Inception completely erased any doubts I had through the first act; not only is this movie not a disappointment, it is one of the most entertaining films I have ever seen.

What Nolan has managed to do here is make a brainy action thriller that combines the mind-bending plot of indie thriller Memento with the enormous budget and action set pieces of summer blockbuster The Dark Knight. In other words, a movie that should be enjoyed by just about anyone (to those complaining that the plot is too hard to follow; Inception is more cohesive than anything Michael Bay has done so shut your traps).

Nolan also proves once again that he is a great action director, forming grand set pieces that could indeed only be dreamt of.

In other words, Inception is a miraculous and harmonious blend of plot and action, something that is rarely seen.

As for weaknesses, well there are a few, generally in the acting category. Don't get me wrong the performances are solid, but just not up to snuff with the perfection of the rest of the film.

Of course, Leo's work is great as usual. Marion Cotillard plays his wife and brings a wonderful nostalgic bent to her scenes. I could see either of them getting Oscar nods.

I have never liked Ellen Page since Juno so perhaps I am biased but I never really cared for her character or her portrayal. Ariadne serves mostly as a vessel for much needed exposition though so I have to thank her for that.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Arthur was awkward and underused in the first act, but by the end he was my favorite character. His scenes in the hotel were just amazing, my favorite part of the entire film.

Underlooked will be Cillian Murphy, who stands out in his supporting role as Fischer, the target of "inception".


The film ended and my friends and I looked at each other, agape and/or grinning huge grins. Stephanie didn't like it quite as much as we, but still did enjoy it, less for the plot than for the action and effects.

Overall, the night was perfect save for the poor turn out. Word of mouth is going to make Inception huge, I predict. And I intend to do my part, so....

DO YOUR UNDERUSED BRAIN A FAVOR!!! GO SEE INCEPTION!! RIGHT NOW!! SERIOUSLY, STOP READING AND GO!


Attendance: 2/5
Crazy Fan Boy Factor: 1/5
Crowd Response: 4/5

-----------------------------------------------------

Production Value: 5/5
Action: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Time on the edge of your seat: About 80 minutes, ironically starting when the "fasten seatbelt" light goes off.

Overall: 10/10

1 comment:

  1. The reason the theater is half empty is because most people are in bed not watching movies it's midnight!

    ReplyDelete