This blog is for all the movie fans out there (and really, who DOESNT like movies?). The site will feature humorous critical posts about movies new and old, updates on my own experiences in the independent film industry, and a "Top 5 ____" list here and there. Reader feedback is encouraged and ultimately necessary for this blog's success, and to not hurt my feelings.

8/16/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World



You guys chose for me to go see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World last weekend and I obliged, heading to the Friday night showing with Stephanie.

I went into the theater with absolutely no expectations. I have never read the graphic novel on which the film is based, so I didn't know what was coming my way. The film wasted little time showing its hand; by the time the Universal logo appears, you will be clued into the uber-geeky nature of the Scott Pilgrim universe.

If you have never played one of the old 8 bit Nintendo systems, or heck, video games in general, 90% of the humor in Scott Pilgrim will zoom miles over your head. Fortunately for me, I am somewhat of a dork, so I enjoyed all the little inside jokes.

Visually, the movie brings much of the graphic novel aesthetic with it. Split screen shots, visual representations of sounds, explosions of hearts when Scott kisses the girl of his dreams Ramona, etc. This one of the most visually impressive films I have seen since 300.

It seems that every frame has been constructed with the greatest care by director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead). From the intimate romance scenes to the spectacular "battles" between Scott and Ramona's evil exes, the entire film is stimulating to the aural and visual sensibilities.

The "battles" are amazing. You would think that Scott fighting seven different exes would get old, but each one is unique and rewarding in its own way. My favorite involves a sonic fight between Scott's band The Sex Bob-ombs (Mario joke) and the Katayanagi brothers.

That brings me to the music. I don't know why, but the thrashy amateurish punk rock of Scott's band seemed to fit the film perfectly. The band members are earnest, aware of their own mediocrity yet still determined to make it to the top. Alison Pill is especially memorable as Kim, Scott's own ex and the band's Animal-esque drummer.

I know I have dissed Michael Cera before for simply playing himself in every movie. He does more of that here, but also shows a side of himself that I have not yet seen. He has a chance in the later fights to play the badass, albeit a nerdy one.

So I enjoyed the film for its quirks, its visuals, its music, and its action. The story takes a back seat in this one, but thats ok. I suppose to enjoy it you have to be able to accept the premise that a woman's evil exes are joined into a guild by her evilest ex to keep her from dating other guys. I accepted it, and found a considerable amount of fun in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.


Attendance: 4/5
Crazy Fan Boy Factor: 1/5
Crowd Response: 4/5

-----------------------------------------------------

Production Value: 4/5
Humor: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Thank God: They didn't make this in 3D



Overall: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. I went to an advance screening of this and was pleasantly surprised! Also, read an interview today that Beck did all the music for Sex Bomb-omb, in 2 days so it would "feel like a demo". Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete